Updated VAT notice – ships and aircraft
HMRC have updated VAT Notice 744C entitled ‘Ships, aircraft and associated services’. The notice cancels and replaces the previous version published in September 2005 and has been updated to take account of developments in policy and changes in the law since the previous version was published.
This notice explains the VAT liability for ships and aircraft and associated services which are supplied in the UK.
The notice covers the following main areas:
- Ships and ‘qualifying ships’
- Aircraft and ‘qualifying aircraft’
- The supply of ships and aircraft
- Supplies to sea rescue charities
- Repair, maintenance, modification and conversion of ships, aircraft and their parts
- Parts and equipment for qualifying ships and aircraft
- Handling of ships and aircraft
- Air navigation, pilotage, salvage, towage and surveying services
- Intermediary services
- Ship managers and port agents
- Evidence of ‘qualifying’ ship or aircraft