HMRC are keen to reduce the quantity of paper forms they issue. They consider that this makes sense especially given the move to compulsory online filings of employers’ annual return forms this year.
Last year significant quantities of P14 forms were ordered from the ‘HMRC employer orderline’ but not ultimately returned.
HMRC ask that businesses consider the following before calling or ordering forms online from the employer orderline:
- Do your HMRC stationery ordering processes ensure that you are only ordering what you need? Do they take into account your existing or new online filing obligations?
- For employers with branches and/or franchises, is your order being placed once, or are multiple branches and your head office ordering the same forms?
- Did you know that you can keep an electronic copy of the P14, it doesn’t have to be a paper one?
- If you need a paper copy of the P14 for your own purposes, you can download and or print one from the CD-ROM or HMRC website.
- From April 2011 most employers will have to start sending starter and leaver information online, this should also reduce the number of forms P45 and P46 you need to order.