HMRC excise visits
On 1 April 2011, new legislation took effect which strengthens HMRC’s inspection and information powers to investigate and tackle excise fraud. The new legislation means that the record keeping and time limits will be the same as for other UK taxes.
In tandem with the introduction of this new legislation, HMRC have issued a new factsheet relating to excise visits.
The factsheet explains:
- What kind of businesses HMRC visit. HMRC carry out visits to inspect excise goods and any items linked to those goods or relevant services.
- HMRC are not required to provide advance notice of a visit.
- HMRC’s rights to carry out an inspection.
- What happens during an HMRC visit.
- Information and documents HMRC can ask for and remove.
- Taxpayers rights and obligations.