Employee expenses and benefits
HMRC’s new A-Z list of expenses and benefits replaces earlier lists on the HMRC website. It should make it easier for employers to check the tax, NIC and reporting requirements of all expenses and benefits using one central database.
The A-Z list links to more detailed technical guidance on each specific expense and benefit.
As an example, the entry for ‘Telephones – Mobile’ includes seven sections
- Providing an employee with one mobile phone
- Providing an employee with more than one mobile phone
- Employee’s own mobile – business pay the supplier directly
- Employee’s own mobile – business reimburse the employee
- Employee’s ‘pay as you go’ mobile – business pay for business calls
- Where to report – understanding the £8,500 threshold
- Technical guidance
The A-Z listing can be found at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/a/index.htm