Authorised Economic Operators (AEO) notice
HMRC have issued a revised copy of Notice 117 for Authorised Economic Operators (AEO).
AEO is effectively a recognised quality mark of a business’s customs control and operating procedures. Businesses that are actively involved in international trade and hold the AEO standard can in many cases fast-track shipments by reducing the number of safety and security checks performed by HMRC and other EU tax authorities. The AEO status became effective with effect from 1 January 2008 and the status is recognised across all EU member states.
The notice has been updated to include the new contact details for the AEO office. Applications can now be posted to: HMRC AEO Central Site, Fitz Roy House, Castle Meadow Road, Nottingham, NG2 1AB. The central phone number for AEO enquiries is 0845 001 0089.
The notice has also been updated to include the following information:
- clarification on where the International Supply Chain is considered to begin and end
- additional guidance on who can apply for AEO certification
- additional guidance on AEO criteria
- additional guidance on supplying further information
- changes to the Reviews and Appeals procedures.